[Sca-cooks] What Would You Make?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat May 7 13:47:30 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 7. Mai 2005 16:57 schrieb kingstaste at mindspring.com:
> Below is a list of 6 items selected at random from my kitchen.   These are
> actual ingredients that are in my kitchen at this moment.  (This becomes
> important a bit later on.)
> You must use some of each ingredient, although you do not have to use all
> of each one.
> To this list, you can add up to 3 ingredients *that are in your kitchen at
> this moment* (no fantasy shopping trips here!)  Be honest, obviously no one
> is coming to check your larder (unless you live someplace I really want to
> visit and Air Tran is offering a 39 dollar ticket ;)
>
> Special brownie points for attactive presentation ideas, tantalizing name,
> and oh, what the heck, period/perioid recipe.
>
> What would you make?
> (I thought about calling it 'What Would Jasmine Do?', but decided against
> it
>
> :)
>
> Christianna
>

> 1 cup whole raw almonds
>
> 1 bottle (24oz) bitter orange juice
>
> 1 cup French green lentils
>
> 4 oz. powdered ginger
>
> 2 cups baby spinach greens
>
> 1/2 pound bacon

I assume water and salt are given?

I'm taking eggs, flour, and sugar (I think I currently have seven or eight
eggs in the fridge and two kilo bags each of flour and sugar). Then I will

- render the bacon fat, reserve the Burnt Crunchy Bits (tm). Use the bacon fat
with an egg and flour to make a pastry crust. Cook the spinach greens,
squeeze them out, chop finely, beat with egg, add salt and a liberal pinch of
ginger. Fill this into a pie dish, cover, brush with egg yolk, bake.

Torta di Herba (not exactly, but there are close parallels in the Anonimo
Veneziano and Marx Rumpoldt. Though if someone could liberate some
parmeggiano somewhere that would help immensely.)

- Cook, drain and puree the lentils, and season to taste with salt and ginger.
Pass through a food mill to make little 'worms' in the bowl tpo get a swir5ly
pattern as described in IIRC Meister Hans (for 'Courtly Peas'). Hard-boil two
eggs, quarter, arrange on top. Sprinkle with Burnt Crunchy Bits.

Courtly Lentils. OK, perio-oid at best, The original calls for a honey-mustard
sauce instead)

- Make a syrup from bitter orange juice and sugar. Beat the remaining eggs and
make an omelet. Serve with a sprinkling of ginger and drizzled liberally with
hot bitter orange syrup. .

Omelet for Ruffians after Scappi (very freely interpreted - he drizzled with
juice and sprinkled with sugar)

- blanch and grind almonds, make thick almond milk with hot water and sugar.
Pour out into a dish and serve, maybe drizzled with cold orange syrup.

standing almong milk is definitely period, but I doubt it would have been
combined with so modern a sauce.

- Freeze remaining orange syrup into a granita.

Sound OK?

Giano