[Sca-cooks] vinegar, caudles

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 9 08:52:00 PDT 2005

One thing that the article didn't state that ought to be
mentioned-- everything at this event ran late.
One lady on another list noted,
"Feast didn't get off until almost 9 p.m., by which time I had very
little appetite because my body was beginning to shut down for sleepy
time. Feast concluded around 11:30 p.m. ...Courts ran very late, and too
long at that, causing much delay in activities. "

Feast was scheduled to begin at 7. Site was to close at 10 PM.

Johnnae

But then, considering the lack of an easy way to cool drinks and the
logistics of keeping a hot drink hot if delivered from the outside
kitchen, I'm not sure that much of the medieval drinks weren't served at
this "odd" temperature. Then again, I'm not sure a caudle would have
been served at a feast.
Stefan