[Sca-cooks] vinegar, caudles

patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Mon May 9 10:19:56 PDT 2005

Regarding vinegar and its strength in period: vinegar was kept for domestic use
in a barrel and regularly filled up with leftover and/or soured wine. Therefore
its strength could vary according to a number of factors, including the strength
of the original batch, what was added to it and in what proportions, etc, etc...

It seems to me that when something stronger is required, period recipes will
mention 'strong vinegar' specifically. I'm at work so I don't have my sources
with me but it shouldn't be to hard to find a few sources who make an explicit
differentiation between, say, 'good vinegar', 'vinegar', or 'strong vinegar'.

Petru