[Sca-cooks] vinegar, caudles

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon May 9 10:27:41 PDT 2005

> Regarding vinegar and its strength in period: vinegar was kept for domestic use
> in a barrel and regularly filled up with leftover and/or soured wine. Therefore
> its strength could vary according to a number of factors, including the strength
> of the original batch, what was added to it and in what proportions, etc, etc...

Ok, this is going to sound stupid, but can you tell us where you found
this information? I have not seen this elsewhere and it would be good to
have the citation.

I'm also interested in finding out anything about cider or perry vinegar
in period; we know there was alegar as it is mentioned in texts.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.
			-- Harry S. Truman