[Sca-cooks] Red Tower Cooking contest

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Mon May 9 10:46:02 PDT 2005

Fiddle heads are excellent!  I recently moved to New England and was really
surprised to find them so readily available here -- I always thought of
them as a Northern California, nouvelle-cuisine hippie food. :-)  But does
anyone know if they were actually used for cooking in medieval or early
modern Europe?  I don't recall seeing mention of them in recipes or even
literary texts, but then again, I wasn't looking for them. ;-)

As for seasonal produce that we *do* know they ate "back then"...there are
all kinds of interesting and delightful items one might not think to look
for.  This is the season for fresh, green almonds, which I've always found
(at home, not here) in middle eastern markets.  How about tender baby fava
beans (I used to find them all the time at the farmers' market)?  Eaten
fresh, with a bit of salt and pepper, and olive oil or fresh pecorino
cheese, they will convert even the most determined bean-hater.  Tiny white
turnips, with their greens still intact?  Wild strawberries?  Green
garlic?  Fresh chickpeas?  Sweet fennel?  And I know this isn't "produce"
exactly, but this is the time of year for an exquisite soft Tuscan cheese
called "marzolino," which I've been able to find (even in New England!) at
my local Italian deli.

There are also slightly more exotic, hard-to-find veggies that were common
in earlier times, like cardoons or ramps (a type of wild onion or leek).

Happy hunting!  Let us know what you discover. :-)

Vittoria