[Sca-cooks] Junket

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Tue May 10 09:14:38 PDT 2005

Thanks for the clarification on this!  It definitely sounds like something
I want to test out at home before trying it on others...

It just occurred to me, too, that using animal rennet the junket might make
it not-vegetarian, right?  Also, does the mix of milk and a meat-derived
product make it not kosher, either?  I'm not against trying the recipe, I
just want to be sure about how many of the diners can eat it.

At 08:36 AM 5/10/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>The reed mats were used for drainage to dry the curd
>out enough to handle for serving.  My recommendation
>is to use a couple of sushi mats with a layer of
>cheesecloth (the real stuff), linen or muslin between
>the junket and the mat.

Definitely do-able.  I have always have stacks of linen towels on hand for
just such experiments as this...

>This is a *really* fresh
>cheese and won't last more than a couple of days.  As
>Adamantius said I'd make this the morning of the event
>for an evening serving.  If you're the Vittoria I
>think you are ;) and will be at Spring Collegium in
>Teufelberg I'd be happy to go over it in person with
>you.  Most anyone can point you in the direction of
>the "cheese lady".
>
>Eibhlin

Hi Eibhlin!  I am the Vittoria you think I am :-) but I'm still in the East
for another few weeks, so I won't be at Collegium, alas.  This dinner I'm
planning for is going to happen at June Crown -- if you're there, are you
interested in getting together for a junket-making party on Saturday
morning? ;-)

Vittoria