[Sca-cooks] Junket

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 10 10:05:15 PDT 2005

I did junket of sorts for my desserts for the Ladies of the Rose
in June 2002. I based mine on "A Summer Dishe"
--- This recipe is given by Peter Brears in his article on “Rare Conceits…”
which appears in the book Banquetting Stuffe.
The original appears in the Recipe Book that belonged to Margaret Savile.
 From my notes that I did at the time I wrote:

The success of this dish lies in keeping it cold and in using enough
rennet to set up the milk, cream or half & half .

<> I also noted-- under Commentary and Important Notes— <>
All of these dishes (there was a cream, jelly, and the junket) require
that they be kept cold after making for best results. The jelly and the
summer dish did not really survive well the extended period of time
prior to being served. Had they been served at noon as I thought was the
schedule or approximately four hours from the time of being taken out of
the cold refrigerator, both would have represented the sorts of dishes
they were intended to be. Neither survived the nearly 12 hours on just
blue ice in 85 degree heat on June 1st without some melting. Both at the
time of eventual serving at past 8 in the evening were more “sauce” than
set jelly or set junket. They tasted fine, but they were not exactly as
originally intended.

So-- depending on how hot it is, your junket may melt! I know mine did.

http://www.junketdesserts.com/ has a number of recipes and tips that
might also be
of interest to you.

Good luck--