[Sca-cooks] Junket

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 10:24:48 PDT 2005

Thanks for the clarification on this!  It definitely
sounds like
something
I want to test out at home before trying it on
others...

It just occurred to me, too, that using animal rennet
the junket might
make
it not-vegetarian, right?  Also, does the mix of milk
and a
meat-derived
product make it not kosher, either?  I'm not against
trying the recipe,
just want to be sure about how many of the diners can
eat it.

********Yes, it definitely makes it non-kosher.  You
can substitute the veal-based rennet with a
vegetarian-based (which makes it kosher), which works
well unless you intend on aging it for long periods of
time.  For some reason the veggie type adds a bitter
flavor to the paste in some cheeses at the 12-14 month
point.  There is a recipe for making almond-milk
cheese (that I haven't tried) in Das Buoch von Guoter
Spise, recipe #71 "A cheese of almonds" which might be
substituted as well.

Hi Eibhlin!  I am the Vittoria you think I am :-) but
I'm still in the
East
for another few weeks, so I won't be at Collegium,
alas.  This dinner
I'm
planning for is going to happen at June Crown -- if
you're there, are
you
interested in getting together for a junket-making
party on Saturday
morning? ;-)

********I'd love to!  We're actually planning to camp
that weekend.  :)