[Sca-cooks] Project Idea--resource for food, tableware, food plants, herbs

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 10 09:22:27 PDT 2005

This is rather interesting. Let me play with it some and see
if there is any easier way to do this.
In the long run what might be more helpful would be to create a file
of all these archives, museums, libraries, houses, etc that are
offering images or digital scans and do a detailed description of what
they offer.
V&A is up for instance. British Museum is up. Bibliotheque Nationale
has things up. I have to wonder if the expense in time to
index this one collection would be better spent doing a more comprehensive
survey of all of them. Indexing images is a big project. Just
establishing the
thesaurus could take a real investment in time. Also perhaps getting in
touch with
the people at the Pierpoint Morgan would be helpful. It could well be
that they already plan
to offer or extend the indexing sometime in the future.

Johnnae
(speaking here as a librarian and as someone that teaches image searching.)