[Sca-cooks] Cooking for Viking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 11 21:04:26 PDT 2005

> The secrete to tamales, Whip the Lard on high adding Masa and broth
> till its light enough to float in water.  chirhart   (WE make them
> every year at pennsic)

You make tamales at Pennsic? Do you make them from scratch at Pennsic?
Or do you make them at home and bring them out? If they can make them
in rural Mexico, then I don't see why you can't make them at Pennsic,
but I understood that making tamales was very labor intensive process
and was often spread over two days. It is a skill that I've heard
lamented as being lost here by many Hispanics as they turn more and
more to store-bought tamales.  I have heard folks mention that making
tamales is one of those family traditions where folks get together
early in the Christmas holidays to make them in a big team effort.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com