[Sca-cooks] Spanish Mackerel

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun May 15 11:34:29 PDT 2005

Hello all:

Been doing some work off the west coast of Florida.  While running the
geophysical lines we've have been trolling and catching spanish mackerel.
They have been running from roughly 2 to 6.5 lbs each.  I've been using
James Beard's "New Fish Cookery" and baking and sauteing.  I've used the
cooked left overs to make fish hash/pies.  We have been filleting them on
the boat to take up less room in the ice chest.   Indeed we were catching so
many that we ended up throwing the 2 to 4 pounders back toward the end of
the three day cruise.  I'm thinking about stuffing smaller ones per Beard in
the future.  Anyone have any alternative period suggestions.

Daniel