[Sca-cooks] Spanish Mackerel

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun May 15 17:37:48 PDT 2005

Daniel Phelps wrote:

>  I'm thinking about stuffing smaller ones per Beard in the future.
>  Anyone have any alternative period suggestions.

Well... how about a Spanish recipe?

217.    CHUB MACKEREL
BISOLES EN CAZUELA

"Open the mackerel, and having well-cleaned and washed them, take all
common spices, and all the herbs except
marjoram.  Then take raisins, and almonds, and pine nuts, and toasted
hazelnuts, and all this together with the herbs; and
with the other things, put it in the casserole with a little oil; and
when the mackerel are half cooked, take a few
hazelnuts and new raisins cleaned of their seeds, and grind it all
together, and let it go into the casserole; and if you wish
to cook them in another manner, such as roasted, you must cook them in
the same manner as the sardines; and doing it
in that manner, you cannot err."

The instructions for roasting sardines are:

"...and if you want to eat them roasted, they should be eaten with
orange juice, and oil, and salt, and a little water, and pepper, and all
the herbs except moraduj which is marjoram, which is also called malgilana."

Ruperto de Nola, Libro de Cozina (Spanish, 1529)
Translation by Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.text

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom