[Sca-cooks] cakes

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 13:05:45 PDT 2005

Hmmm, most authentic pound cake recipes do not call for any leavening other than a strong arm and much beating.  Not so sure my Foster Mother in Law, Auntie Ruth ever owned an electric mixer, and her recipe did not call for baking soda or baking powder, just a pound of sugar, a pound of butter, a dozen eggs, and a pound  of flour, vanilla or lemon flavoring.  Butter was the preferred fat, but lard would do in a pinch.
However, I've not seen a near period recipe like this.

Mordonna

Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:

Am Sonntag, 15. Mai 2005 20:44 schrieb Alexa:
> I have a question in regards to cakes that I thought I
> would pose to the list. I know cakes as we know
> them, the texture of birthday cakes you get at the
> bakery, or from a store bought mix or home made cake
> are not period. My question is, when abouts did cakes
> w/ the texture of pound cake come into play? I have
> only found a recipe for 'an excellent cake' and by no
> means was it cake like we know of today, more like a
> cookie type of thing.
I think that for cakes of the modern kind to
become copmmobn, you have to wait
for the advent of sodium bicarbonate and
mechanical or electric beaters.

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies
Mundanely, Millbrook, AL
Vert, between four cauldrons or, a cross checky argent and sable