[Sca-cooks] FW: [TY] Re: Medieval and/or Middle Eastern Recipiescontaining Tomatoes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 15 16:55:52 PDT 2005

Really?

In 1554 edition of Della historia e materia medicinale, Petrus Andreas
Matthiolus observes that tomatoes were fried in oil with salt and pepper
much like the eggplant.  A tomato recipe also appears in Gerard's Herball of
1633.  While I will grant that the first tomato recipe published in a
cookbook was in Lo salco alle moderna in 1692, it is obvious tomatoes were
being used culinarily before that date.

It is also demostrable from the writings of Juan de Acosta and others that
European knowledge of tomatoes was from the New World.  Given the
interaction between Venice, Genoa and the Ottoman Empire, it is highly
unlikely that tomatoes were indigineous to or even being used in Turkey
without some knowledge of the fact appearing in Europe.  If there are
Turkish primary sources contradicting this, then they need to be cited.

I would like to see the citations for the African "evidence" of
pre-Columbian tomatoes and peanuts.  I suspect this is a case of liguistic
transference rather than actual use.  Like the sweet potato, these were
probably introduced into West Africa by the Portuguese slave trade in the
mid to late 16th Century and local names were used for them.

I would also like to see the citation for the primary source for the recipe
from the Turkish Minister of Culture.  Having spent over 30 years in
government service, I am well aware that most people working in the public
sector do not adhere to academic standards when writing PR pieces.  Since a
primary source has not been mentioned, I think the Turkish government may
have left that out of their little booklet, which raises the question of
accuracy of transcription and translation.

The problem with this debate is that statements are made but citations of
sources are not, reducing it from a serious discussion of history to a
schoolyard squabble.

Bear