Fw: [Sca-cooks] FW: Turkish Recipe

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon May 16 04:16:48 PDT 2005

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>At 02:33 AM 5/16/2005, you wrote:
>>  >
>>>  Hey, I want to know who dubbed him 'America's best-selling poet'- if only
>>>  so I can grab up some Whitman or Dickinson or Frost or Ginsburg or Hughes
>>>  or Sandburg or... and SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROAT!
>>
>>A person named Brian Bruya, in both cases, interestingly enough.
>>
>>However, 'best-selling' depends on the time period you choose to observe.
>>Maybe Rumi outsold the American classics for 16 days in early December 2003?
>
>Bah.
>I looked Brian Bruya up- a PhD candidate in Philosophy at University
>of Hawaii, almost all of his work centered on Asian
>mystic/philosophers, and most of that in translating and editing
>Chinese works. Looks like Doubleday published a bunch of his
>translations (seem to be student editions) in the mid-late 90s. His
>language background is Modern Standard Chinese, Classical Chinese
>(Cantonese? Mandarin? huh?), and Japanese (written). A variety of
>Taoist and Marxist themes in his publication record, but nothing on
>a Sufi mystic of indeterminate age.
>
>But he must be doing something right, because Amazon is
>commissioning him to write reviews, for what that's worth.
>*However*, I don't see anything anywhere in Mr Bruya's CV that would
>indicate that he speaks or reads Turkish or knows anything about
>Sufi culture or about a certain variety of nightshade that they may
>or may not have put in their food before 1492. So there ya go- back
>to those rotten tomatoes.

For some reason all this reminds me of a line in the 80's Broadway
musical, "A Day In Hollywood / A Night In The Ukraine" (whose
original cast album I'll now have to listen to, thank-yew-very-much),
in which the pseudo-Marx-Brothers movie, "A Night In The Ukraine" is
described as being "taken from the pages of 'The Bear,' by Anton
Chekov, Russia's top gag writer!"

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782