[Sca-cooks] cakes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon May 16 08:29:07 PDT 2005

Also sprach Terry Decker:
>I've got the Compact Edition of the OED, copyright 1971, Tenth
>Printing (1975).  So either the entries have been shortened or the
>information has been added in a later revision.
>
>Bear

I had, within the past couple of years, written to them about
"pomace", and their assertion that its first usage was, as I recall,
some time in the 18th century, which led to some folks in my kingdom
interpreting a 15th-century mead recipe which used the word "pomys"
as meaning to add apples to it, while I maintained that the crushed
stuff from the previous recipe, in this case honeycombs, was, by
definition, "pomace", and therefore what the recipe was indicating.
There were no apples mentioned in any previous recipe, either.

I don't know if they ever updated their entry for pomace, but I
mailed them the pertinent info, they thanked me and said they'd check
into it...

Adamantius