[Sca-cooks] cakes

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 09:33:52 PDT 2005

--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> I had, within the past couple of years, written to them about
> "pomace", and their assertion that its first usage was, as I recall,
> some time in the 18th century, which led to some folks in my kingdom
> interpreting a 15th-century mead recipe which used the word "pomys"
> as meaning to add apples to it, while I maintained that the crushed
> stuff from the previous recipe, in this case honeycombs, was, by
> definition, "pomace", and therefore what the recipe was indicating.
> There were no apples mentioned in any previous recipe, either.
>
> I don't know if they ever updated their entry for pomace, but I
> mailed them the pertinent info, they thanked me and said they'd check
> into it...
>
> Adamantius

Here is the latest entry, as of March 2005:

Pomace

[A derivative of L. p mum or F. pomme apple: the form pomace, if original, appears to correspond
to med.L. p m cium, p m tium cider (? for L. *pomceum); but the sense makes a difficulty, as do
also the variant forms.
  Cf. also OF. pomat (Godef.), in mod. patois of Yères (near Havre) poma ‘la masse de pommes,
après que le pressoir a exprimé le jus’: thus exactly = Eng. pomace.]

    1. The mass of crushed apples in the process of making cider:    a. after the juice is pressed
out;    b. before the juice is pressed out.

  a. 1572 L. MASCALL Plant. & Graff. 6 Though the Pepins be sowen of the pomes of Peares and good
Apples. 1664 EVELYN Kal. Hort. Dec. (1729) 225 Sow, as yet, Pomace of Cider-Pressings to raise
Nurseries. 1676 WORLIDGE Cyder (1691) 133 Scalding water wherein you may boyl apple-pumis. 1693
EVELYN De la Quint. Compl. Gard. Dict., Pomace, is the mash which remains of pressed Apples, after
the Sider is made, used for producing of Seedling Stocks in Nursery-Gardens. 1707 MORTIMER Husb.
(1721) I. 5 If you sow Apple or Crab Kernels, sow the Pummace with them, which will come up the
first Year. 1884 T. HARDY Wessex Tales, Interlopers at Knap (1889) 157 Where the..dunghills smell
of pomace instead of stable-refuse. 1897 Evesham Jrnl. 16 Jan., The pomice or must after cider
abstraction.

  b. 1764 CROKER, etc. Dict. Arts, etc. s.v. Cyder, The apples are then ground, and the pummice
is received in a large open-mouthed vessel. a1825 FORBY Voc. E. Anglia, Pummace, the mass of
apples mashed under a stone roller before they are placed between layers of straw or the
cyder~press. 1886 [see POMMEY].

    2. transf.    a. Anything crushed or pounded to a pulp.    b. Any solid refuse whence oil has
been expressed or extracted; e.g. the refuse of the menhaden and other fish after the oil has been
extracted, formerly known as fish-guano, fish-cake, pogy-chum; also (more fully castor pomace),
the cake left after expressing castor oil from the beans; both used as fertilizers.

  a. 1555 W. WATREMAN Fardle Facions I. vi. 101 Then put they the fisshe into the hollowes of the
rocques, and beate it to pomois. 1705 HICKERINGILL Priest-cr. II. i. 13 Thus we poor frail Mortals
(like Corn between two great contrary Mill-stones) are bruised to Pommice. 1766 Compl. Farmer s.v.
Madder, These roots are cut..and pounded in mortars..till they are reduced into a kind of pummice.

  b. 1861 Agric. Maine VI. 44 The residuum left after expressing the oil, that is the cake,
pumice, or as commonly called, the chum, which contains nearly the whole fertilizing portions of
the fish. 1864 Ibid. IX. 43 Fish pomace, or the residuum of herring after the oil is pressed out,
is greedily eaten by sheep, swine and fowl. 1898 U.S. Comm. Fish & Fisheries XXII. 479 The ‘fish
cuttings’ and refuse fish which accumulate at the canneries are made into pomace and sold for
fertilizer.

  1877 Rep. Connecticut Board of Agric. (1878) 395 In some [fertilizers], castor pomace, leather
scraps, and other cheaper materials are used. 1878 Ann. Rep. Connecticut Agric. Exper. Station
(1879) 38 Castor Pomace,..the crushed seeds of the castor-oil plant after the extraction of the
oilis a long-known and well-tested fertilizer. 1895 Yearbk. U.S. Depmt. Agric. (1896) 192
Castor-oil plants... The pomace is considered valuable for fertilizing purposes.

    3. The head, heart, lights, liver, and windpipe of a sheep or lamb. Obs.

  1688 R. HOLME Armoury III. iii. 83/2 Pomass of a sheep, is all the Intrals. Ibid. 88/1 Sheep
Pummices is the Head, Heart, Lights, Liver, and Wind-Pipe of a Sheep all hanging together. 1750 E.
SMITH Compl. Housew. (ed. 14) 66 To hash a Lamb's Pumice.

    4. Comb., as pomace-fly = DROSOPHILA; pomace-shovel, a shovel used for pomace (in sense 1).

  1886 T. HARDY Woodlanders xxviii, The blades of the pomace-shovels, which had been converted to
steel mirrors by the action of the malic acid. 1897 J. H. COMSTOCK Insect Life 185 As these
insects are often abundant about pomace in cider-mills and wineries, they have been termed
pomace-flies. 1924 J. A. THOMSON Sci. Old & New xxvii. 152 When the pomace-fly, Drosophila, is
feeding on fermenting fruit, it must have yeasts to help it. 1946 C. T. BRUES Insect Dietary
v. 194 The pomace fly, Drosophila, so successfully used by geneticists to elucidate the processes
of inheritance, has likewise served..to demonstrate some of the food relations of microphagous
insects.

Pomeys

 obs. form of PUMICE.

pomeys, pomeis, n. pl.

Her.

[Of uncertain form, app. only in plural, which may possibly be an antiquated spelling of pommes;
cf. later quots.]

    The name given to roundels when of a green colour.

  1562 LEIGH Armorie 150 He beareth Argent iii. pomeis in pale, which is as much to be vnderstand
as iii. grene Appels. 1610 J. GUILLIM Heraldry IV. xix. (1660) 352 Pomeis are taken for Apples
without their Stalkes. 1706 PHILLIPS, Pomey, (in Heraldry) the figure of an Apple or Ball, which
is always drawn of a green Colour. 1766-87 PORNY Her. Dict., Pommes, green roundelets used in
Coats-of-arms. 1882 CUSSANS Her. (ed. 3) 73 Roundles... The Pomme..vert.

pomice

obs. form of POMACE, PUMICE.

Pumice, n.

[ME. pomis, -ys, a. OF. pomis (a 1250 in Godef.), pumis, ad. late L. pumicem, for cl. L. pumex,
-icem, It. pomice; a learned form for the popular F. ponce: see POUNCE n.2 In 16th c. gradually
assimilated (pomis, pomise, pomice, pumice) to the Latin form; under the influence of which some
now pronounce (pjums). (So in It., Florio has pumice as var. of pomice; Cotgr. pumice as syn. of
ponce.) The ß forms, pumish (pomege), were perh. due to Ital. influence; but cf. Eng. -ish in
verbs for F. -iss. Pumy, pummy, prob. arose out of the reduction of pumis stone to pumi-stone.
(The L. word had been taken into OE. in the form pumic; with this the ME. forms had no historical
connexion.)]

    A. Illustration of Forms.

    (α) 5-7 pomys; 5 pomeys, -yce, pumys, -yce; 6 pomis, -aise, -ayse, -ice; pommes, -ice;
pumise, -yse, -eise, -eyse; 6-7 pomise, pummise; 7 pumis; 7-9 pummice; 6- pumice.

  14.. Voc. in Wr.-Wülcker 606/12 Pumex, pomys. c1440 Promp. Parv. 408/1 Pomeys, or pomyce, pomex.
1483 Pumys [see ß ]; Pomyce [see B. 1b]. 1523 Pommes [see B. 1c]. 1540 PALSGR. Acolastus Sjb, That
they be blowen out agayne lyght pomissis. c1550 LLOYD Treas. Health v, A pumyse made hote. 1552
HULOET, Pomaise for parchment,..lyke a pomayse. 1579 Pommice [see B. 1c]. 1581 J. BELL Haddon's
Answ. Osor. 463 Being more narrowlye examined and vewed, was espyed to be a very pumeyse. 1591
PERCIVALL Sp. Dict., Esponja, a spunge, a pumise. 1591 Pumice [see B. 1d]. 1607 TOPSELL Four-f.
Beasts (1658) 104 A Pummise put in wine. Ibid. 318 White and crumbly like a Pomys. 1615 Pumis [see
B. 1a].

    (ß) 5 pumysch, -e, pomege; 6 poumysshe, pumishe; 6-7 pumish.

  1422-3 Pumysch [see B. 1c]. c1450 Nom. in Wr.-Wülcker 682/29 Hic pumex, pomege. 1483 Cath. Angl.
293/2 A Pumysche (A. Pvmys), pumex. 1530 PALSGR. 257/2 Poumysshe for a scryvenar, pomys. 1565
COOPER Thesaurus s.v. Latebrosus, A pumish full of little holes. 1658 tr. Porta's Nat. Magic xx.
407 It makes the bread extream dry, and like a pumish.

    (ÿ) 6 pommie, -y, pummie, pumey, pumi (stone); 6-7 pumie, -y, 7 pummy.

  1565 GOLDING Ovid's Met. III. (1575) 33b, With flint and Pommy was it wallde by nature halfe
about. 1567 Ibid. VIII. 105 The walles were made Of Pommy [1593 pummie] hollowed diuersly and
ragged Pebble stone. 1579 SPENSER Sheph. Cal. Mar. 93 Pumie stones I..threwe: but..From bough to
bough he lepped light, And oft the pumies latched. 1595 PEELE Anglorum Feriæ 26 Thetis in her
bower Of pumey and tralucent pebble-stones.

    B. Signification.

    1. a. A light kind of lava, usually consisting of obsidian made spongy or porous by the escape
of steam or gas during the process of cooling.

  14.., c1440 [see A. ]. 1567 J. MAPLET Gr. Forest Avijb, Of the seconde sort is the Pumeise
[printed Pumelse] concrete of froth as Isidore witnesseth. 1615 G. SANDYS Trav. 242 Much ground
about it [Ætna] lies waste by meanes of the eiected pumis. 1796 MORSE Amer. Geog. II. 164 Vast
quantities of pumice or scoria of different kinds. 1813 BAKEWELL Introd. Geol. (1815) 331 The
island of Lipari contains a mountain entirely formed of white pumice. 1854 F. C. BAKEWELL Geol. 86
Pumice is a well known volcanic product of a white colour, and so light that it swims upon water.

    b. With pl. A piece or block of this substance.

  c1483 CAXTON Dialogues 47/21 Goo fecche a pomyce And of the best papier, My penknyf, my sheris.
1501 Acc. Ld. High Treas. Scot. II. 63 For foure pumyses to him,..xijd. c1550, 1581, 1607 [see A.
]. 1645 EVELYN Diary 7 Feb., In anno 1630, it [Vesuvius] burst out.., throwing out huge stones and
fiery pumices. 1779 HAMILTON in Phil. Trans. LXX. 82 This curious substance has the lightness of a
pumice.

    c. As a material used for smoothing or polishing (parchment, etc.), or removing stains; as an
absorbent of ink, moisture, etc.; as proverbial for its dryness.

  [a1000 Sax. Leechd. II. 100 Of felle ascafen mid pumice.] 1422-3 Durham Acc. Rolls (Surtees) 619
Et in incausto, pumysch, cera rubea, empt. 1523 FITZHERB. Husb. §142 Penne, paper, ynke,
parchment,..pommes,..thou remembre. 1579 LYLY Euphues (Arb.) 58 The greatest blot is taken off
with the Pommice. 1580 Ibid. 374 If thou attempt againe to wring water out of the Pommice. 1599 B.
JONSON Ev. Man out of Hum. V. iv, Could the pummise but hold vp his eyes at other mens happines.
1665 SOUTH Serm., John i. 11 (1718) III. 305 To oppress, beggar, and squeeze them as dry as a
pumice. 1849 R. V. DIXON Heat I. 207 A U-shaped tube filled with sulphuric pumice..to prevent the
vapour of the water in the aspirator reaching the desiccating tubes B and C. 1862 MERIVALE Rom.
Emp. VI. liv. 229 note, A copy of one book..of Martial,..smoothed with pumice, and elegantly
bound, was sold for 3s. 4d. 1871 R. ELLIS Catullus i. 2 The new, the dainty volume,..fresh with
ashy pumice. 1878 HUXLEY Physiogr. xii. (ed. 2) 193 The stone largely used for scouring paint
under the name of pumice.

    d. fig. or allusively, esp. in reference to its qualities in c. Obs.

  1591 GREENE Farew. to Folly, Fr. Dante, The pumice that defaceth memory,..Is but a stomach
overcharged with meats. 1638 COWLEY Loves Riddle III. i, For I have Eyes of Pumice. a1643 W.
CARTWRIGHT Ordinary V. iii, I cannot weep, mine eyes are pumice. a1658 CLEVELAND On Rom. iv. 25
Wks. (1677) 166 Marble can weep, whilest we are Pumices.

    2. a. attrib. Consisting of or resembling pumice; pumice hoof, a ‘pumiced’ hoof: see PUMICED
2.    b. Comb., as pumice-like adj., PUMICE-STONE, q.v.

  1592 R. D. Hypnerotomachia 20b, The two..pillars of Porphyre..of a pumish or tawnie colour. 1624
CAPT. SMITH Virginia v. 169 A kinde of white hard substance..pumish~like and spungy. 1688 R. HOLME
Armoury III. 89/1 Terms used..as to Horse-Shooing... Pomise, or Flat Hoofe. 1811 PINKERTON Mod.
Geogr., Bahama (ed. 3) 665 The pumice lands soon imbibe the rain. 1845 DARWIN Voy. Nat. iv. (1879)
63 A firmly-cemented conglomerate of pumice pebbles. 1891 R. WALLACE Rural Econ. Austral. & N.Z.
xv. 229 Pumice-topped land..covers unfortunately about thirty per cent. of the area of the North
Island. 1950 N.Z. Jrnl. Agric. Jan. 17/3 In the north and north-west, where annual rainfall is
over 50 in., the soils are classified as yellow brown pumice soils. They are light, fluffy pumice
soils formed on volcanic ash. Ibid. Feb. 115/2 In its natural state the open pumice country,
clothed in a tangled mass of manuha and manoao..looks barren and unattractive. Ibid., The pumice
lands of the central plateau area of the North Island consists of soils derived from volcanic-ash
showers. 1965 S. T. OLLIVIER Petticoat Farm i. 1 Harry stood at the roadside and watched the
white pumice dust rising between the bracken at each side of the road.

pumis, pumish, pummace

obs. ff. POMACE, PUMICE

Huette