[Sca-cooks] Fitzgibbon on Pomedoro

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 16 17:27:27 PDT 2005

Try "pomi d'oro,"  golden apple.  AFAIK, the first person to publish this
term in reference to tomatoes was Petrus Andreas Matthiolus in the 1554
edition of Della historia e materia medicinale.  The tomato was described in
the edition of 1544, but not named.  Presumably, this is the first published
description of the tomato.

I've done some looking and I can't find any reference to Fra Serenio or his
trip to China.  There's not much between Andrew of Perugia and the Jesuit
mission in the latter half of the 16th Century.  I think this reference may
be apocryphal.

Take 1421 with a salt shaker.  It's fun to read but the author is shaping
facts and history to fit his view.  I would have preferred a serious study
of the Great Treasure Fleets.

Bear