[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 13:20:32 PDT 2005

Aren't the leaves of modern beets edible?

I have been told by cooks I thought knowledgeable that the roots of the beet were not considered food in period, but that the leaves were.  It hasn't been on my hot list to verify this one.

Cordelia Toser

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
Greetings! I had heard (and told others) that swiss chard was the modern
version of 'leaf beet'. Of course now I can't remember where I found
that info, and some friends of mine and I were wondering about it.
Anyone have a more concrete answer and be awake enough to produce it?
Thank you!

(Stefan, if the answer is in the Florilegium, that's wonderful but my
brain is not ready to handle the kind of search statement that would get
that out without trudging through lots of recipes calling for
chard/beets!)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you
just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have
helped you become who you are. " -- Mr. Fred Rogers