[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Tue May 17 13:47:33 PDT 2005

Am Dienstag, 17. Mai 2005 22:20 schrieb Carole Smith:
> Aren't the leaves of modern beets edible?

Well, I've eaten some and I'm still around. It's just not worth buying beets
for the leaves.

> I have been told by cooks I thought knowledgeable that the roots of the
> beet were not considered food in period, but that the leaves were.  It
> hasn't been on my hot list to verify this one.

I doubt it. I guess it is possible that Apicius means beet greens served with
mustard and vinegar, and that de Rontzier wants them pickled with anise, but
both seem to jive much better with the root.

YIS

Giano