[Sca-cooks] swiss chard =/= beet greens?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 18 05:44:16 PDT 2005

There are two standard translations of Apicius, M.E. Milham and Jacques
Andre.  Andre translates this to mean beet greens.  I don't know how Milham
translates this.  Flower and Rosenbaum go with beet root.  Beta means beet,
but without contextual clues, it is hard to determine whether root or green
is called for.

There are a couple of other recipes in Apicius one that calls for beetroot
(small beets as ingredients in a laxative broth) and the other calling for
different greens including beet in a barley broth.

Bear