[Sca-cooks] cakes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed May 18 06:06:46 PDT 2005

A two penny loaf is a loaf that can be purchased for two pence.  Under the
Assize of Bread, the weight of the loaf varied by the market price of the
grain and the quality of the flour.  For example, in 1329 a two penny loaf
of white bread would have been 7 pounds 10 ounces a voirdupois.  It would
have been somewhat less in the latter half of the 17th Century when Evelyn
was cooking.

Puddings can be boiled, steamed or baked.  Most of the ones I've encountered
that are close to Elizabethean call for a pudding cloth and boiling.  This
recipe, however, is over fifty years later and consideration must be given
to how much the French culinary traditions influenced Evelyn.

Bear