[Sca-cooks] To Garnish and Present Med/Ren Food

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:08:58 PDT 2005

Greetings,

About a year ago on this very list someone asked about period
garnishing techniques and I said to myself - hmmmm, I cannot answer
that question. So I set about doing research into the period culiary
manuscripts looking for evidence/suggestions/instructions on garnish.

What I have found so far has been compiled and posted here:

http://www.serenadariva.com/DressingtheDish/

So far I have gone through only 15 manuscripts. The project has been
on the back burner due to some other, more pressing, issues. But I
anticipate being able to work on it again in the future.

There is a suprising amount of instructions that I believe is a
garnish, based on my definition of garnish. My working definition
hinges on the concept that it is something added after the dish is
completed - or in the plating process. Instructions to sprinkle with
fine spices, pepper, sugar or the like seems to be the most common
form of garnish. I have not yet distilled the information into any
sort of conclusion - but you are welcome to browse what I have found
so far. I hope it might be helpful.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva