[Sca-cooks] To Garnish and Present Med/Ren Food

Ariane Helou Ariane_Helou at brown.edu
Wed May 18 11:59:35 PDT 2005

Urtatim wrote:
>So, have people found good sources on SCA-period food presentation - NOT
>counting sotilties - that describe appropriate serving dishes, whether
>they piled on the parsley, etc.? And please specify time and place. I'm
>skeptical that what was used in 14th century England was the same as what
>was used in 16th century Italy or 9th century Baghdad.

The cookbook I've been working on (14th c Tuscan) includes, in several
cases, the stipulation to serve the finished dish on a platter and sprinkle
it with spices or sugar, or color it with saffron or herbs.  I don't know
helpful that is, since it's still about the food itself than about extra
decorations.  But the blancmange recipe, for example, says "when you serve
it, add almonds fried in lard, and sliced white ginger."  When I tried it I
topped it with some toasted almonds I had on hand, and the golden-brown
nuts on a white plate looked very pretty.  I think there are also a couple
of recipes that call for fried onions as a topping; "fried lard" shows up
in several places too, although I'm not exactly sure what the finished
product would look/taste like, never having dealt with lard
myself.  (Doesn't it just melt when you heat it?  How can you "fry" it into
something solid?  Or could "lard" be bacon or other fatty meat?)

>I have found the rare occasional recipe that specifies the garnish or the
>color of the serving dish for a recipe, but these are the exceptions,
>rather than the rule, in my experience.

I second that.   A recipe might direct you to serve something on a trencher
rather than on a plate, but never (far as I have seen) will it say "use a
wooden bowl" or "use a green ceramic platter."

On the other hand, I've found one description of a royal feast (14th c
Tuscan, again) that not only describes the gilded roasts, feathered
peacocks, and fire-breathing fowl that were brought out of the kitchens,
but even the livery that the servants were wearing: velvet with silk
ribbons, etc.  But again, not so helpful in most cases....

As far as garnish, where not explicitly described, I'll sometimes use
attractive sprigs of fresh herbs, or pieces of fruit, or the like -- but
*only* if they're already called for in the recipe itself.  I see no point
in using out-of-context parsley, but I love to add a pretty bit of rosemary
if it's already making an appearance in the stew, if that makes any sense. :-)

>Additionally, how do other Kingdoms, Principalities, Baronies, etc. deal
>with and judge this aspect of their cooking competitions?

Well, I haven't entered anything here, but I did participate in a couple
cooking competitions in the West, and still have the judging sheets lying
around somewhere...here's their criteria:

Appearance: does the food look good and as the recipe describes the
finished look?

Presentation: is the presentation period for this dish and the part of the
world it is from? Does it interfere with the taste or appearance of the food?

The problem is, it's totally subjective.  (These were years ago, so I hope
it's ok to share the critique at this point.)  For one entry, three judges
rated the presentation of the same dish as everything from "Excellent" to
"Adequate, but not exceptional."  For another, a judge recommended that I
use a brightly-colored napkin to display my Elizabethan baked goods, as
opposed to the white linen I had chosen -- and actually took points off for
this, although I have never ever encountered Elizabethan (or any!)
references to table linens of any color except white.  I'm not complaining
or being catty; I'm just pointing out that so much of this judging is
opinion-based, and the judges are so unlikely to share your particular area
of expertise, that this issue becomes surprisingly difficult to deal with.

Vittoria