[Sca-cooks] cakes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 18 23:25:01 PDT 2005

Bear replied to me with:
> A two penny loaf is a loaf that can be purchased for two pence.  Under
> the
> Assize of Bread, the weight of the loaf varied by the market price of
> the
> grain and the quality of the flour.  For example, in 1329 a two penny
> loaf
> of white bread would have been 7 pounds 10 ounces a voirdupois.  It
> would
> have been somewhat less in the latter half of the 17th Century when
> Evelyn
> was cooking.

A *seven* pound loaf of white bread??? That sounds like either an
awfully large loaf or rather heavy bread. I just went and checked a
fairly standard sized loaf of Dark whole Wheat bread, the only bread
currently in my kitchen, and it is only one pound, 8 ounces. And I
would expect that to be a bit heavier than a *white* bread.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com