[Sca-cooks] cakes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 20 19:37:21 PDT 2005

You can steam a pudding in a pudding cloth and the instructions in some
cases are unclear as to whether the pudding is to be immersed or not.  As a
practical point it may not matter, but I haven't tried any experiments to
see if it does.

Bear

From: "Nancy Kiel" <nancy_kiel at hotmail.com>

I thought steamed puddings were later than our time period...you don't see
the technique even in the 18th century really, although I have a vague
recollection of trying custards in little cups in a bake kettle/Dutch oven
with water.....

  Puddings can be boiled, steamed or baked.  Most of the ones I've
encountered
  that are close to Elizabethean call for a pudding cloth and boiling.  This
  recipe, however, is over fifty years later and consideration must be given
  to how much the French culinary traditions influenced Evelyn.

  Bear