[Sca-cooks] cakes

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 08:06:22 PDT 2005

OK, now you've made me curious.  I always understood "steaming" of puddings to be putting your filled, closed pudding mold into a pot of boiling water, but not submerging it completely.  Mrs. Beeton has you tie a cloth  over the pudding basin, and submerge the whole, for boiled puddings.  I've done boiled puddings by tying the ingredients up in a  cloth and submerging the whole.   I would think only partly submerging a cloth-wrapped pudding would lead to uneven cooking. Any ideas on where/when the partially submerged approach came around?  Or completely enclosing the ingredients in a mold, for that matter, since I've always thought that method to be Victorian, but Mrs. B. doesn't mention it?

Nancy Kiel
"Sometimes, you get the best light from a burning bridge." --Don Henley