[Sca-cooks] cakes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun May 22 11:26:12 PDT 2005

Boiled and steamed puddings are one of those subjects I have more questions
than answers.  I experimented with a couple of recipes many years ago and I
have a few recipes, most of uncertain provenance.  I was given the
impression you can steam a pudding in a pudding cloth, but I don't know the
details (yet).

Markham (The English Housewife, 1615) gives instructions to stuff puddings
into cleaned pigs intestines (farmes) and to boil them, pricking them with
an awl as they swell to keep them from bursting.  This would be similar to
steaming puddings in sealed mold.  I would suspect the molds are a later
adaptation of the technique and that Markham's use of intestines is an
Elizabethean method.

I'm begging some exerpiments with boiled doughs (German simmels leading into
marzipan stuffed simnels and on to modern simnel cake).  Once I get the my
paper on simnels out of the way, I may take a serious look at puddings.
Collect the recipes, temporally order them and do comparative tests of the
techniques.

Bear

OK, now you've made me curious.  I always understood "steaming" of puddings
to be putting your filled, closed pudding mold into a pot of boiling water,
but not submerging it completely.  Mrs. Beeton has you tie a cloth  over the
pudding basin, and submerge the whole, for boiled puddings.  I've done
boiled puddings by tying the ingredients up in a  cloth and submerging the
whole.   I would think only partly submerging a cloth-wrapped pudding would
lead to uneven cooking. Any ideas on where/when the partially submerged
approach came around?  Or completely enclosing the ingredients in a mold,
for that matter, since I've always thought that method to be Victorian, but
Mrs. B. doesn't mention it?

Nancy Kiel
  You can steam a pudding in a pudding cloth and the instructions in some
  cases are unclear as to whether the pudding is to be immersed or not.  As
  practical point it may not matter, but I haven't tried any experiments to
  see if it does.

  Bear

  From: "Nancy Kiel" <nancy_kiel at hotmail.commailto:nancy_kiel at hotmail.com>

  I thought steamed puddings were later than our time period...you don't see
  the technique even in the 18th century really, although I have a vague
  recollection of trying custards in little cups in a bake kettle/Dutch oven
  with water.....

    Puddings can be boiled, steamed or baked.  Most of the ones I've
  encountered
    that are close to Elizabethean call for a pudding cloth and boiling.
This
    recipe, however, is over fifty years later and consideration must be
given
    to how much the French culinary traditions influenced Evelyn.

    Bear