[Sca-cooks] Okra - Seasonal Foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 20 23:52:33 PDT 2005

  Urtatim suggested:
> You could also try the Moroccan way...
> Wash the okra, but keep whole, leaving on the stem.
> With a needle, run a white thread through all the stems.
> Put the "wreath" of okra into the cooking pot with all necessary
> ingredients (these are usually saucy dishes).
> When you want to stir the pot, gently lift out the okra, stir the
> other ingredients, then lower the okra back in.

Okay, I guess I'm missing something here. What is the reason for
stringing the okra onto the thread? Is this like bay leaves where the
leaves are used just for flavoring and you remove the leaves from the
dish before serving it? Or are you cooking this dish until the okra
becomes soft and the string is to keep the okra from being burst when
you stir the dish? If so, it seems like the very act of lifting the
"wreath" of okra would increase the chances of the okra bursting or
falling off the string.

Stefan
Okra is okay in gumbo. I'm not sure about anywhere else.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com