[Sca-cooks] Okra - Seasonal Foods

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 08:17:31 PDT 2005

Christianna wrote:
>  I'm not exactly looking forward to okra season, I
>  understand there was quite a lot of it last year.  But, I figure it will
>  never be any better or fresher than this, so I should expand my vegetable
>  horizons as much as possible with this opportunity.

And Vitha responded:
>Why are you frightened of Okra?  Sure it can be slimy, but
>I find the best way to keep it (or just cook it) is to slice
>it into rounds, coat in cornmeal and fry in bacon grease.

You could also try the Moroccan way...
Wash the okra, but keep whole, leaving on the stem.
With a needle, run a white thread through all the stems.
Put the "wreath" of okra into the cooking pot with all necessary
ingredients (these are usually saucy dishes).
When you want to stir the pot, gently lift out the okra, stir the
other ingredients, then lower the okra back in.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita