[Sca-cooks] Okra - Seasonal Foods

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 07:33:46 PDT 2005

Don't know about Medieval recipes, but ISTR that Western Europe was ignorant of it until after our period of interest.
I happen to like it, stewed, fried, or grilled, but prefer it in Gumbo.  Gumbo isn't gumbo without it.  It might be a great fish stew, but it ain't Gumbo!  My Cajun great grandmother taught me that "Gumbo" means "okra"  The okra is essential to thickening the stew,.
Traditionally, you begin by making a dark rue by stirring equal parts lard and flour over low heat forever.  But here is a recipe for quick and easy Gumbo.  This is the recipe I use when I cook for the Household at Estrella.  Makes about 20 servings.  And it freezes well, but I've never had enough left over to freeze.

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. shrimp
1 lb. crab meat
2 medium onions
5 or 6 stalks celery
1 or 2 bell peppers
1 or 2 cayenne peppers
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 lb. fresh or frozen okra
3 cups fresh corn cut from the cob or 2 cans corn niblets
3 cups diced fresh tomatoes, or two cans
1 large can Spicy V8 juice
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Tabasco to taste

Chop fresh vegetables all about the same size, not too fine, but not larger than an inch.
In a large soup pot, brown the beef, turkey, pork, onions, celery, and peppers.  When meat is dark brown and onions are translucent, add the garlic, okra and corn.  Reduce heat to medium, and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add tomatoes, juice, and seafood and return to a simmer.  Add seasonings just before serving.  Serve with rice, a simple tossed salad, French bread, and be sure to put a bottle of Tabasco on the table.

Mordonna

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:
Since its from Africa, are there any medieval-oid recipes that call for
Okra? I can't recall seeing any, but I could be supressing them...
Christianna

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies
Mundanely, Millbrook, AL
Vert, between four cauldrons or, a cross checky argent and sable