[Sca-cooks] Period-appropriate cookies and cookie-likesubstances....

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun May 22 16:11:02 PDT 2005

Take a look at bakestones for those recipes.
My description from my Scottish Luncheon--

Oatcakes and Barley Cakes—

Alexander Fenton, among others, has documented the long association of
the Scottish hearth with these characteristic flatbreads of oats and
barley. Traditionally baked on a stone before the fire, they often don’t
bake as much as dry out before the fire. Even when the “stone” of a
bakestone gave way to an iron griddle surface, this manufactured iron
griddle may still be called a “bakestone.” I bought mine at Covent
Garden in 1984. Historical accounts date back to at least the 14th
century when Froissart recorded the making of oatcakes by Scottish
soldiers. The Earl’s Glasgow accounts mention them of course early in
the 17th century. A quick read on the subject is Lockhart’s The Scots
and Their Oats. Although he’s talking about Yorkshire and not Scotland,
Brears’ The Gentlewoman’s Kitchen also includes a good account of
regional hearth breads, as does Elisabeth David and also McNeill. I have
made use of stone ground barley meal and imported oats.

http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/mkcc/MKCCfiles/AlasdairGuinevreLunch.html

Johnnae llyn Lewis