[Sca-cooks] Writing Middle English - & time frame - anaside from "period cookbook"

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun May 22 19:33:17 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >When our Companie interact with the visitors to our Camps, we only resume
> >modern speech to them,  if our Visitors "look blank" when we speak Early
> >Middle English  [which is correct for "our period", 1450 to 1509]. Even
> >our youngest Companions pick-up the 15th C. speech-habits very quickly.

Well, my objection to speaking forsoothly, aside from trying to deal with ir
pre- coffee, is that very few do it well. Most you hear sound like something
out of a late night movie, at best. I spoke with one lady at Pennsic, from
Indiana, who was speaking "in persona", with what she fondly imagined was a
Scot's accent, but bore no resemblance to anything I've ever heard out of
any Scot's mouth.

And, there are quite a few of us who are from different cultures, to whom
Medievaloid Early English has no connection. In my culture, I would most
likely be speaking Latin and Greek, and I guarantee you that neither
colloquial Latin nor coine are coming out of my mouth, before or after
coffee ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.