[Sca-cooks] Period-appropriate cookies and cookie-like substances....

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun May 22 23:26:15 PDT 2005

Etain commented:
> > The original recipe is from Sir Kenelme Digbie's The Closet Opened
> > printed in 1669 by Digbie's nephew and including his uncle's store of
> > recipes used at the court of James I.
> >
> > Excellent Small Cakes
>
> This is a wonderful recipe!  I used it routinely at demos as "prizes"
> for The
> Food Game, but got a bit bored serving the same thing..so I now make
> other
> things as well (Daryoles with Plum Pudding on them went over VERY
> well!)

Another file in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
Digby-Cakes-art  (12K) 6/30/01   "Excellent Small Cakes Revisited"
                                      by Tirloch of Tallaght.

>    I've also been looking into traditional Welsh cooking.  Every cook
> in
> Wales
> has their own (and best!) verson of "welsh cakes".  If you look at the
> recipes....these are Digby's fine cakes flattened out and cooked on a
> griddle!  I've
> often wondered if I could get away with "baking" them on a griddle at
> demo's
> where we do open fire pit cooking.  Does anyone have any documentation
> for
> medieval cooking of cakes on a griddle???

oakcakes-msg     (19K) 11/14/04   Period oatcakes.
pancakes-msg     (51K) 11/20/04   Period pancakes and pancake-like
foods.

In the FOOD-BREADS section.

Stefan
--------