[Sca-cooks] was Pine nuts

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Mon May 23 04:58:28 PDT 2005

Susan Laing wrote:

>Unless of course anyone knows of a caraway allergy I should take into
>account?

There are always allergies, but you can't take everything into account.
My mother-in-law is dangerously allergic to caraway. (and soy, basil,
garlic, oregano, onions, black pepper, etc...) In short, she doesn't
need to be coming to an SCA feast.

I believe we need to depend on two-way communications. Folks /have/ to
tell us what they are allergic to if they are participating in the
feast. We /have/ to let folks know what is in the dishes. Trying to
avoid cross-contamination is probably good, but promising to to do so is
dangerous. Unless you have two kitchens, or a well trained kitchen crew,
a significant risk is present. If a person has a life threatening food
allergy, they need to be responsible for taking appropriate steps. I am
not a professional, and I don't have a professional staff. I am not
willing to risk someones life on the premise that we kept all our
stirring spoons separated.

All that said (or typed), if someone with a serious allergy lets me know
soon enough, I will eliminate that ingredient from the whole feast if
possible.

(oooh, feeling preachy today, feel sorry for my students...)

Aoghann