[Sca-cooks] Norse Pies (was period cookies)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 09:14:29 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: otsisto <otsisto at socket.net>

> Thank you. This helps me understand a bit more. I wasn't challenging your
> choice of cheese, I was inquiring for knowledge sake. I always like to hear
> why a person chose this ingredient instead of that one.

I didn't take it as a challenge -- you just pushed my "information" button, which is easy to do.  The "stop" button doesn't work quite as well.  :-)

> So how did the guin....samplers like it?:)

The vegetarians in attendence were disappointed that I had nothing for them.   The others liked the filling, but felt (accurately) that the crust was too thick, and overwhelmed the filling.  I'd used the "pate a pate" dough recipe from _The Medieval Kitchen_.  It was sturdier than I expected, and could have been made much thinner.  Also, I think that pork (roasted next time) might give a more flavorful result.  All in all, it was satisfactory for a first try.  I had tasted the filling before it went into the pies, so I knew approximately what it would be like.  The real recipe failures (and there have been some!) never leave my kitchen.

I admire cooks who get recipes right on the first try, and aren't afraid to serve an untested dish at a feast.  I doubt I'll ever be one of them.