[Sca-cooks] Norse Pies (was period cookies)

Robin rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 19:51:51 PDT 2005

Sharon Palmer wrote:

> I am late in reading this thread and apologize if I missed it.  This
> sounds like a French recipe, what makes these pies "Norse"?
>
> Ranvaig
>
>> Meat pies, from the Viandier (14 c. French)
>>
>> "Take  cooked meat chopped very small, pine nut paste, currants,
>> harvest cheese crumbled very small, a bit of sugar and a little salt."
>> (translation by James Prescott)

The recipe is indeed from a French cookbook.  I don't know the origin of
the name.  It might be a reference to Normandy.  There are many medieval
recipes that claim a foreign origin, but they've been so changed their
own mothers wouldn't recognize them.  Moorish Eggplant with Bacon, anyone?

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net