[Sca-cooks] Period-appropriate cookies and cookie-likesubstances....

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 12:04:36 PDT 2005

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>I am glad to know that in the country of its origin Lebkuchen isn't just a Christmas cookie.
>It probably became one in Amarryka because Christmas to some is a time to reflect on our
>roots and do traditional things our mothers, grandmothers and greatgrandmothers used to do
>for Christmas.  California only has a handful of true German bakeries.  The few that I patronize
>only bring out Lebkuchen, Pfefferneuse, and Springerle cookies at Christmas time.  I could
>probably special order these from them, but it would be infinitely cheaper and better if
>I made them myself anyway.
>
>Huette

Absolutely true, which is why you should start baking now so they are
properly aged and ready for Crown Prince Prize Tourney on July 2.
 'Twould make a great fund raiser, particularly if you have any of those
big picture molds.  My "secret agenda" here is to let the younger folks
know who you are and why you are a Laurel, as well as remind some of the
oldsters who could use a refresher course in Huette 101.   It's not
always a good thing when old Knights go out and try to fight [viz. the
last couple of "Old Timers" tourneys, some guys should just keep their
shirts ON and stay out of armour] but Laurels can keep demonstrating
their chops much later in life.  You got DECADES yet!

Hint Hint Hint!

Selene