[Sca-cooks] Writing & speaking early-Middle English

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Mon May 23 14:25:14 PDT 2005

Ok, my two livres on the matter (hey, inflation...)

In my view, what we call 'speaking forsoothly' is counter-productive, and
actually one of the barriers to an actual communication and a deeper
experience in the realm of persona development.

Julian said: "One might enquire as to the depth of academic, medieval
-Western-European-historical Study that enables you to be a Judge as to who
is  " 'speaking forsoothly' well"? " Well, indeed, Julian. To what purpose
is the affectation of archaic speech if those you speak to are not
qualified to judge (or understand) what you are doing? And to yourself- how
do you know you're doing it right? Have you sound recordings? Who are you
doing this for?

I live in a kingdom where you can hardly swing a cat without hitting a
Norseman, a Mongol, or a Scythian. It would be pointless for them to
communicate in Late Middle or Early Modern English, and even more so for me
to talk to them in Middle French. So how would using an archaic form of
English be any better than speaking plain modern English? What has been
accomplished? You play in a small group that is focused on a particular
place and time, and it is effective for you do manipulate the language to
fit. But the rest of us do not. The scope of our context is too broad for
such detail to be effective, or have any real meaning.

Most SCAdians really don't have the background to pull it off successfully
(and yes Julian _I do_) and attempts are usually on the spectrum between
silly and ghastly. And they've gained nothing except in weirdness factor.
(And usually it marks them as a 'newbie who'd trying _really_ hard'.) And
lets not get into SCA euphemisms for modern objects- that just gives me a
headache.

I've taught persona development is a number of different venues, and in my
experience, this is what works best in the SCA context: Be conscious in
your speech; avoid when possible modern slang and colloquialisms- speak a
little more formally. Use polite forms of address, and titles where
applicable. An expression from your context used occasionally, even if
limited to the occasional oath or cuss word, lands a 'difference' that will
not likely interfere with effective communication. For instance, my lord
and I are in 1405- he in Scotland and Gascony (what a combo, eh?) and
myself in Normandy and Poitou (I lost my English possessions when
Bolingbroke deposed Richard). A sprinkling of French here and there, works
well, and the exclamation of "Jesu Maria!" is what you might hear if we've
stubbed a toe on a stake (well, that and a few French and Anglo-Saxon curse
words ;-). But why would we use Early Modern English? How would that be
more appropriate than modern English?

So much for my two livres. Hmm. Can I get change? ;-)

'Lainie
(gotta head back upstairs and back to work on the new pavilion. *sigh*)