[Sca-cooks] Lebkuchen

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 02:20:02 PDT 2005

Actually, it was not Lebkuchen that Selene was referring to.  It was Springerle cookies.

Since Springerle requires being molded with either a carved stamp or rolled out with a carved
springerle rolling pin, the dough must be very stiff in order to retain the molded shape.
If the dough isn't stiff, then the shape gets lost when it bakes.  Consequently, springerle
cookies are rock hard when they come out of the oven.  However, they do soften with age, so
that if I were to make them now, they would be perfectly edible by the time of the event
Selene was referring to.

Lebkuchen are usually quite edible when they finish baking and don't require any aging to
soften them.

Huette