[Sca-cooks] Norse Pies (was period cookies)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 15:42:31 PDT 2005

Brighid wrote:

Yes and no. I can imagine general flavor. Some recipes I don't even
bother to try. Some, I only try once because they're boring, or too
much work, or okay-but-not-good-enough. Spicing often takes me a few
tries, especially if it's a dish like a pie that can't be tweaked as
it's cooking.

--
Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net

I'm with you Brighid.  Much can be imagined.  Sometimes I test a spice blend before I add it to anything to see if I'll like it.  You can mix herby (or sharp spicy) blends with butter and spread on bread or crackers, and sweet spicy blends with sugar.  From there you can fine tune your spices before they are ever added to the dish.  This doesn't help you decide how much of the blend to add in a pie before it its baked, but does save a lot of work time and foodstuff on recipes that sound good, but in practicality are less than tasty.

Because of time constraints, most of the time I try new recipes as tourney foods for just the family (which can be anywhere from 2 of us to about 12-15ish).  Yes, we are a brave bunch.  Most of the time we eat well at tourneys.  Sometimes not so well, but always better than burgers!

Samrah