[Sca-cooks] Documentation for Presentation

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Tue May 24 19:20:20 PDT 2005

I have to pipe in here.  Sometimes the judges do notice.... Story to
follow...
BTW Nice job on documenting and Presenting. I must look up what the
Condoignac is exactly but I definitely appreciate the setting the stage
and documenting.
Story
My first A&S entry ever was some pictures that I did reproductions
of...Uhmmm Boticelli's Mar's and Venus, Someone's Medici, and one or 2
others... Sorry I did alot of painting for that event.  (<Grin> for
those old timers around here this was the event that got me on this
list.  About 5-6 years ago)  Now I had not planned on entering these
things in anything but I let the autocrat talk me into it. (Indeed to me
they were simply set pieces for the feast/ball.  I mean they didn't ask
me to enter the Fountain which I thought was WAY cooler) So I had zero
documentation other than to say the original painters, dates, medium
used originally, and how I did them.  Now I got the standard Wow these
are so pretty... blah blah blah.  But the one note that I got stuck with
me forever... "These painting's are pretty but I would like to see more
documentation.   Let's talk sometime about how to do documentation.
 Rachel"

Now she and I talked briefly and I explained my views and opinions of
said pictures (props) and we kinda parted with the understanding on her
side that I would do better in the future, and on my side that I would
actually have to do an entry and document it at some point rather than
entering my decorations in A&S things.

My next entry was one that I planned out and presented.  (Ie I actually
had decided to enter an A&S competition)
The theme was to make, "Anything that could be found in the Tower of
London that is edible."  Now I was Jonesing to play with the stained
glass candy recipe so I liberally interpretted the statement above to
fit my needs... But I will admit that I had thought about making a
Marzipan Rat, a bread shackles, and those kind of things... then I found
the stained glass window in the St. Someone's Tower  (I've got it here
but don't want to look it up right now sorry).  For the entry I bound my
documentation in burgundy and green notebooks,(Our chosen colors)  I had
pictures of the window, tower, the history of the tower, when it was
made (yep it is within period), samples of the candy, details on the
making of the candy molds, etc....
I had a note "Good documentation. Rachel"

Then there was the Period Ginger Bread House... I won't go into details
but ya'll know I documented the HELL out of that one.... recipes,
virtual tour pics of the original house, permission letter from the
museum curator to do the project, materials used and where I went out of
period... etc....
The note I had was very short but it brought tears to my eyes... "WOW,
Rachel"

When I cooked my first feast for Her Majesty, she came up to me later
that night and said something to the effect of, "Not only did I
appreciate getting the recipes and sources, but thanks for listening to
our wishes, and paying extra careful concerns with allergens,  (It was a
meat heavy feast((Their request))  with shellfish at the beginning ((my
desire but high allergen concern))) That was a good feast."

Now what was the point of all of that?
I just wanted you to know that just because some judges don't notice
documentation other's do.  And better judges notice presentation as well.
I personnally am impressed with your documentation and even more so with
the presentation!!!!!
Nice work!, but then again I expect nothing less from someone on this list.
Nichola