[Sca-cooks] spelt bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 26 19:24:06 PDT 2005

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is very high in gluten (the proteins gliadin and
glutenin) between 13 and 20 percent higher than the average club wheat
(Triticum aestivum).  What you probably encountered was a celiac web site
which included spelt in it non-gluten list.  The truth is, spelt's gluten
has some unusual properties that allow some people with celiac disease to
digest it, although it is not recommend for the celiac diet.

In Medieval baking, spelt was a prime choice for qualtiy bread.  It's
drawbacks are that it produces less yeild per acre than softer wheats and it
does not seperate as easily from the husk.

When in doubt, check the scientific name of the grain.  Genus Triticum is
wheat and you can produce a loaf of yeast-raised bread with any of them.
However, for bread, the harder (higher in gluten) the wheat the better the
loaf.

I think you will be pleased with spelt bread.  If it doesn't work, we can
kick around what went wrong.

Bear

Thank you for the ref. I I thought that I had read heard that spelt flour
was a low no gluten flour, and did not want to make a loaf of rock.
plachoya
humble archer
Ravens Fort Ansteorra