[Sca-cooks] Sugar Plate - gelatin vs Gum Trag...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon May 30 08:05:55 PDT 2005

Robert Downie wrote:

> drakey2 at iinet.net.au wrote: With Sugar Plate, what are the
> advantages/disadvantages between using Gelatin and Gum Traganth and
> are there any other agents that can be used and the relative merits of
> them...

Cost and supply. Some people can get gum trag easily. Others can't.
How authentic must it be?
As Faerisa mentioned tylose or CMC is another that pops up. I think it all
depends on how long the objects are to last and what the weather is like.
Periods of rainy weather and high humidity don't help.

Johnnae