[Sca-cooks] Re:deer in Michigan

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue May 31 12:08:41 PDT 2005

Deer in Michigan? The state has  2 million deer !
And a budget crisis, so getting them picked up is not
a high priority. One of the articles recently in the local
Detroit paper was about a retired guy who does it for a hobby.
He averaged 3-4 a day. Counties that pay someone budget like
$50 a deer to get them picked up.

A group called the Michigan Deer Crash Coalition (I couldn’t make that
name up) reports that every eight minutes a car and a deer collide in
the home state of the Big 3. The group’s tally suggests the bill for all
these accidents could be as high as $130 million.
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/2115679578156545/

the rules--
Police or DNR conservation officers may issue you a permit to keep the deer.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1593_3504_22760-95455--,00.html

This is the only state that I know of where the teens are taught how to
hit a deer
in driver's ed... and what to do with it when they hit it.

Johnnae