[Sca-cooks] Chickens in Hochee-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue May 31 13:28:16 PDT 2005

At 12:46 PM 5/31/2005, you wrote:
>How large were the garlic gloves? Size of the bird?

Uhh... the bird was a good size for a chicken. I want to say four pounds
but I'm not sure. The garlic cloves were pretty standard size, and yes, I
halved them. But even the halves, and the ones that were already skinny,
weren't cooked through.

>The recipe says
>Add garlic cloves whole, if very large halve.
>This indicates it's done in about 45 minutes.

Yup. Actually, I left it in about ten minutes longer, as I was waiting for
the Losyns to be done (I browned them in the oven).

>Alton Brown's recipe for 40 Cloves and a Chicken
>takes an hour and half in an oven. He's using
>1 whole chicken (broiler/fryer) cut into 8 pieces.
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_16200,00.html
>
>James Beard's recipe calls for an hour and half too.
>http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recipes/jbh/chick_40_cloves.html

Hmm.
If I'd left the chicken in the broth that long, it would fall apart (as it
was, I had a hard time getting it out of the pot), which would rather
defeat the purpose of stuffing it, I'd think. So I'm back to wondering how
the garlic and the chicken are done through at the same time.

'Lainie