[Sca-cooks] English Doctors want to ban pointy knives...

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue May 31 19:47:43 PDT 2005

Was written:

> But if they are talking about spur-of-the-moment weapons used to either
assault or defend,
> then a whole lot more items need to be banned ... screwdrivers, scissors,
knitting needles,
> ice picks, chopsticks, letter openers and any glass bottles, which can be
broken and used to maim.

Ice picks!  I distinctly recall a bit of statistical analysis in which the
rise in the use of refrigerators in homes was directly correlated to a
decline in ice pick murders.  Thus I presume there is somewhere on the books
in England a statutory requirement that every home must have a refrigerator?
Or perhaps that is why they drink warm beer as they have banned ice?

That being said here in the states the ax has been passed over in favor of
the chainsaw.  Does anyone have any statistics to suggest a shift away from
ax murders to the use of chairsaws instead?  Hmmm... perhaps not as it is
clearly easier, per Egil's example, to sneak up on someone with an ax but
there is no sneaking with a snarling chainsaw.   Perhaps we should play
safe, outlaw fireplaces and do away with the need for both.  Yes and protect
the environment as well.

Come to think of it Leon Trotsky was killed with an ice ax perhaps we should
outlaw glaciers...  sorry no need as Frat Boy George is doing away with them
by ignoring global warming.

Was further written:

> And then what about blunt objects?  Crow bars, fireplace pokers, statues,
trophies, paperweights,
> frozen legs of lamb ... all have been used to murder people ...

Who was murdered with a frozen leg of lamb! State your sources inquiring
minds want to know!

Daniel