[Sca-cooks] shrimp, salmon and catfish...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 6 00:19:45 PST 2005

Ranvaig mentioned:
> The freezer has lots of shrimp (buy one get TWO free!), half a
> salmon, a piece of catfish,

Perhaps they just got tired of counting the shrimp. "I'd like 364 of
your shrimp, please". :-)

I have been wondering how the catfish industry is doing now, since
Hurricane Katrina. The book, "Catfish and the Delta" by Richard
Schweid, says that catfish are the nation's most successful
aquaculture product, about $300 million per year in 1990. But most of
this is farmed in the Mississippi delta area. Has anyone heard? I
don't remember it being mentioned with the news of Katrina. Looking
at the Google maps though, it looks like this area, near Indianola,
Miss, is much further north than I thought it would be for the
"Mississippi delta".

I did find the book interesting, from the details of farming catfish
to the sociological and political comments on the region. Jessica's
biscuit may still have some sale copies left.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com