[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 30, Issue 35

cldyroz at aol.com cldyroz at aol.com
Fri Nov 11 12:15:25 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org

Am I to understand that you have not worked with this recipe before and
the event is tomorrow?  Sigh.  For your own sanity's sake, perhaps you
had better use premade puff paste, which is just flour and butter after all.
**Actually, I have made oil-based crusts before, with vgetable oil. My grandmother was diabetic, and tat way was supposed to reduce the fat and carb level of the product. What it produced was a barely edible leaden piecrust that we scraped th filling off of.
This recipe is very, very similar, except it is missing the salt. I wonder-looking at the original translation, I wonder if it should read 'rest' instead of 'rise'? If one makes a modern-day piecrust, we all know to knead once or twice, ball it up, wrap it up, and let it rest in the 'fridge for a bit. How would this be any different?
Rose petals may not have the tensile strength you nt as a substrate
for a fairly sloppy [if tasty] cheese like Angel's Food. Also a bit of
flavor redundancy with the rose in the Kushiananai.  Maybe the
Shrewsberys would be a better idea after all.  Maybe with the Angel's
Food on the side as kind of a dip?
**hmm, you do have a point, there. What has been done in the past was pipe the cheese on to the petals, but it was done indoors. Tomorrow is supposed to be fairly windy. The cakes probably would work best.
Can't have the nibble flying off on their own...:)
Selene

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:08:40 -0500
From: "Daniel  Phelps" <phelpsd at gate.net>

A bit of salty/savory munchies you might add?  Perhaps savory wafers or
water crackers with that onion, anchovy, parsley spread out of "Early French
Cookery" and mayhaps a bit of chicken liver pate'?
**Oh, dear-i don't know. That is a good idea, but won't that be a bit too much? This is supposed to be a right-after-lunch-nibbles kind of thing.

Thank you!
Helen

End of Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 30, Issue 35