[Sca-cooks] mustard soup, sops and bread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 20:38:44 PST 2005

Molli commented:
> My first mustard soup was at Meridian Maneuvers over a year ago. I was
> honored to be feast helper for the Glorious Mistress Mairih
> (spelling) and
> the lovely HL Dinah. Oh yummmm mustard soup. That was...just...heaven.

Molli, do you know if the soup you had was redacted by Mistress
Mairih or whether it was based on the redaction by HE Salaamallah's
which has been floating around the SCA for years. Salaamallah's
recipe is apparently quite good, but it takes some pretty big
liberties with the medieval recipe that it appears to be based upon.
this file in the Florilegium FOOD section has more details, as well
as the original recipe and his variation:
mustard-soup-msg  (13K)  4/ 3/02    Mustard soup. HE Salaamallah's
version.

> I love sauces. IMO sauces can make a meal. A less then dazzling
> piece of
> meat can be saved by just the right sauce. I was raised a "sopper".
> Sopping
> was an art form in our home. A good sauce, drippings, juices...a
> hunk of
> bread either with fingers or fork...sop. If with a fork, stab some
> meat, a
> bit of bread, dip in gravy, sauce, juice...bite.

Hmmm. I'd gotten the impression that sops were bread put into a bowl
with the broth then poured over them, although I don't know if the
bread was just dampened or totally immersed such as you usually see
in "French Onion Soup". As opposed to the bread being dipped into the
soup/sauce/drippings. "Sop" is apparently the root for "soup".
Comments anyone?

sops-msg          (12K)  2/13/04    Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/sops-msg.html
> I love the process of making bread.....so off I go on a
> tangent when I have other things to attend to.

Lol. Naw, none of us here ever do that...  I have heard of folks
going to the Florilegium to look up something and somehow getting
diverted down other paths.

Take a look at the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium. There are
less than a dozen, documented period bread recipes but a number of
experienced folks such as Bear have developed reasonable, possible
recipes. A number of these original, period bread recipes can be
found in the breads-msg file as well.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas